Wednesday 25 July 2012

Recent Excursions

Rather than bore everyone with endless descriptions of the tomb project I thought I would put up some of the plein air sketches that I have done recently - in reverse order.

Yesterday was my birthday and as I has spent the day before, which is Maddy's birthday and our wedding anniversary, treating her to a special lunch followed by a visit to West Wickham House, I was let off to paint for the whole day.  Knowing that David Pilgrim had had a good day there on Sunday I thought I would try Marlow.

I found the river bank below Marlow Lock and after brief introductions I was kindly invited on board Jonathan Kipps' canal boat - a beautifully fitted out craft with 11 foot beam - while it waited to go through the lock.  I met those of his family and friends on board and off we went.  This was obviously going to be my birthday treat!  We negotiated the lock, went on past the town a little way and they dropped me on the North bank at a great spot for painting the bridge.  How kind some people are.  They reminded me of the time when we lived in Nepal and everybody helped everybody else.  Anyway here is the sketch:

I then moved down river, looking for a shady spot as I had fried in the first one.  No luck, so I pitched up at the lock and painted looking back from there.  This one is a bit bigger than I can normally manage - and you might say it shows! - but it is a lovely subject.  It has quite a few dark passages and I think if I tried it again it would be early on a sunny morning, working with the light rather than contre jour.


On 20th July I drove over to Waterperry and spent half a day at Art In Action.  I saw Tony Merrick, who was one of the demonstrating artists, but could not get near Paul Antonio.  I had not realised what a prolific and accomplished pastellist Tony is.  Anyway, towards the end of the afternoon I started an 8x10 of people going home:


On 14th July David Pilgrim drove us down to Bath where we met up with Valerie Pirlot and had a lovely wet day, first painting in the square across Pulteney Bridge and then at the Circus:

Rain!  Bath

Gay Street from the Circus, Bath
I am still knocking out the odd 'postcard' when I have no time for anything else.  Really they are just studies of the big shapes and tones in a scene but at least they keep me looking.

Belted Galloways below Beckley 4x6 inches
Having finally finished the 'tomb' I now have much more time to get out painting so I hope to be posting some more sketches soon.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tim. Happy belated birthday!!! It looks like you had a super day. I love that first painting - it's a real stunner, you really nailed it. I also like the study of people at the Art in Action - very impressionistic. You did really well with the Bath ones too. Your wet pavement is beautifully wet! I had a great time painting with you both so I hope we can do that again soon. All the best. Valérie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie - I was quite unsure of myself at Marlow - you know, all fingers and thumbs with lots of rubbing out and scraping going on. Lots of people there too, all wanting to have their say! So I am quite relieved that they came out not too bad

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff Tim. You found two excellent views at Marlow. The second is almost exactly where I pitched (I got told off by the lock keeper for standing in front of the bit where people occasionally embark from). I went for a portrait composition but I think your landscape one perhaps works better than mine. Love the first...an excellent piece, full of light and colour but well controlled at the same time. Look forward to seeing more of your work now you're free from the rigours of conceptual carpentry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, Thanks for the encouraging remarks! I am sorry that we missed the lavender fields at Broadway - must mark the date for next year. Looking forward to joining you and Valerie at another venue sometime soon!

      Delete
  3. Love the contre jour Marlow painting Tim, despite your reservations about it, and very interesting to see your versions of the Bath streets compared to Valerie's - both superb. I look forward to seeing David's versions soon too when he puts them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter, Sorry I missed your comment - my involvement in the AFAS Show this year was total so i am only just getting myself back in circulation. Might try that Marlow location again - it's definitely a 'puller'.

    ReplyDelete